Wednesday, December 30, 2009

New Teachers: How do we create a welcoming environment for New Teachers?

I am a new teacher, and I am eager to share my experiences with other educators around the world. For this particular entry, I would like to focus on creating a welcoming environment for new teachers.

As a new teacher, I am eager to embark on my journey to educate students to change the world. However, when entering the building, there were not many welcoming teachers. New teachers, are viewed as a "threat" as oppose to an "asset." I graduated from undergrad, and went straight to graduate school; which provides a glimpse of my age. There were many teachers that expected the students to "run over" me, as oppose to providing solid advice that would contribute to the betterment of my experience and relationship with students. There were also teachers that pulled me over to the side to warn me about students that would potentially give me behavioral issues in my classroom, or of teachers that I should not associate with.

As a teacher that gravitates towards positivity, I was able to surround myself around other teachers that supported my goal for educating students that will change the world; however, I immediately became concerned for the teachers that are unable to make the mature dinstinction that I made, and the new teachers that would come after me. I am left pondering the question, how I do I create a positive welcoming environment for new teachers that will come after me? We need great teachers that want to stay in the profession, and it easy for others to become discouraged during their first year of teaching. An overarching question would also be, how do we begin to bridge the gap between the new and old teachers? How can we collaborate together to ensure that the students are our central focus, as oppose to our own ego?

No comments:

Post a Comment